Purchasing a home is an important milestone in people’s lives and a large financial investment. Competition among agents is as fierce as ever and buyers are becoming more and more selective.
So how do you differentiate yourself in a crowded marketplace? There are actually several things you can do to start attracting more clients and get more referrals.
It’s important to understand what buyers are looking for in order to effectively meet their needs.
The following is a list of the top 10 things buyers are looking for in a real estate agent.
- Great Listening Skills. Buyers don’t want to hear a typical sales speech, feel rushed, or have properties pushed on them. They will appreciate an agent who listens carefully and works hard to meet their individual needs.
- Have Expertise in Your Area. Buyers want an agent who is active in their area of interest and knowledgeable about the neighborhood and amenities.
- Advice and Suggestions. Buyers expect you to provide your advice and suggestions. This enables them to make an informed decision when it comes to buying. They will appreciate your insight and you might be able to suggest ideas that will save them time and money.
- Be Responsive. Always answer your phone when you can and make sure to reply to missed calls and email messages promptly, in 24 hours or less. If you don’t communicate effectively, buyers will become frustrated and they may look elsewhere.
- Have Great References. Buyers often ask for references, so make sure you have some past clients lined up who are willing to give you a great recommendation.
- Make Valuable Connections. Buying a home is complicated, so buyers appreciate an agent who can recommend trustworthy lawyers, inspectors, and other professionals. There is a lot involved when purchasing a home, so simplifying some aspects of the process is a benefit to the client.
- Honesty and Integrity. No one likes a snake oil salesman. Even if you can make a sale in the short term using deceptive practices, being honest with your buyers is the way to get recommendations and create future business.
- A Comprehensive Website. Buyers want to be able to go online to look at properties and read information. It’s also a great way to let the buyer learn more about you and your experience.
- Negotiating Skills. A large part of the process is coming to an agreement on price, repairs, etc. You have to be able to close the deal for the buyer to get their dream home.
- Enthusiasm. This is an exciting time for your buyer, so be upbeat and excited to work with them.
You can use this information to market yourself and build a great reputation. The most successful agents are the ones who put their client’s needs ahead of making a sale.